Copycat: A novel I'm working on


I apologize for not posting in SO long! I've been very busy lately, just not always busy with blog ideas! (I really hope I won't have to say that at the beginning of every post).

Lately I've been thinking a lot about a sci-fi novel I hope to write. I've had the idea for a long time, but within the past week or two the storyline has become a little bit clearer and the next thing I knew I was super excited and felt like I should actually try it! I already have plans for a sequel!

So far I have just written the back-cover description and the first paragraph three times (I'm still not sure if it's good enough). Here is the back-cover description:

Monsters are already dangerous - but even more so when they're just like you.

For Kaprissa Knight, surviving unsual, sci-fi-style invasions have become the norm in the world she calls home - so much that she becomes part of a private military and research facility dedicated to the prevention of the attacks becoming worldwide. 

But when suspicious aliens (that the scientists call, "Copycats") begin creating themselves out of the likeness of their enemies, it starts to take over even the toughest of the crew. Now the soldiers, spies, and scientists alike struggle to battle their worst enemy - themselves.

So that's what I've been up to lately. I have made my brother, Nathan, the "advisor/editor," and he has made himself part of the reason it's my third attempt at writing the first paragraph. But that's  what editors (and older siblings) are for, right? 

I think I'll call the book "Copycat." I was going to call it "The Monster in the Mirror" until I found out that was the name of a song from Sesame Street. 

Anyway, back to the storyline. I want to note that the real "battle" in this book is more psychological than physical. This has caused me to realize something as a writer. I've realized that my natural way of writing  a novel is to make the protagonist's inner conflict their outer conflict also. When you do this, the character can no longer ignore their abstract, inner battle because it affect then affects the outer, tangible world. You see, I think people ignore their deep, inner emotions by distracting themselves with the activities and events of their external world. But with this method of writing, there is no escape. They have to deal with the inside in order to fix the outside. 

I hope I didn't lose you just now.  I could have continued that paragraph for a long time. I might just do a post on it. But I think I'll stop now and give you (and my almost overheated laptop) a break. 

Until next time,

Keep studying the Dandelions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The cure for writer's block